Friday, May 20, 2011

In the moment

All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:16

An eventful day, not all of which seemed to be good, but then there is that concept of me deciding what is good or bad, when I only have my perspective, and not eternal perspective. I asked God to reveal why we missed our flight, why we are here in Germany instead of Addis, why we trusted the navigational system and not our intuition (or whz the y and z are switched on this kezboard), but in the end none of that matters. Amos and I spent the evening sharing with eachother various moments in life, all of which we had experienced together but with a different perspective, and it struck me that no story seems complete, not fully finished until the focus is brought back to Christ. What He has done, not me.  And so it is with this story, we are striving to keep Christ front and center.
As I stood staring at the airport attendant assuring us it was too late to board (even though our plane to Addis was still connected by the boarding tunnel and we had our boarding passes in hand) it would have been nice to make a scene, but God whispered this verse to me:

A gentle answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger.  Prov. 15:1

I knew it wouldn't do any good to throw a fit or stomp my foot (a childish move I like to resort to behind closed doors), so I drew in my breath and told her I was sorry (after she complained that they were removing our checked luggage from the plane too). It was kind of interesting seeing their reactions, I am sure it probably was not what they expected. Frankly, it wasn't really what I expected from myself, but God is good and provides just enough strength to pull us through the moment. And that is what I kept hearing Him say, Trust me, and even after I kept thinking of all the things I could have done to have changed the outcome, He whispered to me again, Trust me in this moment. Okay Lord, I commit this moment, this day, this trip, yet again, to You. Your will be done, not mine. And so, Amos and I resolve to begin our day tomorrow, thankful His mercies are new every morning, excited to head to our son's home country. We eagerly await how God will reveal His glory tomorrow!

Learing to trust Him on the fly,
Paula

P.S. Thanks Sherry for the daily, handwritten devotions. As you can see, God used you to pull us through!

No comments:

Post a Comment